Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility City of Monterey, CA

Residential Property Inspections

There are two types of inspections performed by the Building Permit & Inspection Services Division: Residential Property Inspections and Construction Inspections
Please call (831) 646-3890 to schedule an appointment.

Residential Property Inspections
A residential property inspection requires that an exterior inspection and report be obtained through Building Permit & Inspection Services prior to the close of escrow, transfer of title for sale or exchange of any residential property, on all single-family dwellings and apartment buildings.
You can email the application to to schedule a Residential Property Inspection (RPI). Condominiums are exempt.

Construction Inspections
When calling to set up an inspection, please have the following information available:

  • Permit Number
  • Job Address - please include the street name and number
  • Type of Inspection needed
  • Date that the inspection is requested for
  • Name and phone number of whom to contact with questions. No confirmation call will be made.
Please note:
  • For inspections someone must be present. The plans and job card must be left at the site for inspector review.
  • Permits expire one year after permit issuance or last inspection.
  • Inspection requests received before 2:00 p.m. will be scheduled for the next business day.
  • Inspection requests received after 4:00 p.m. may be scheduled on the following day.

Sanitary Sewer Lateral Inspection Program
As of January 1, 2019, in accordance with the Monterey City Code 30-1.2 (Ordinance 3579), the City of Monterey began implementing a mandatory "Sanitary Sewer Lateral Inspection and Repair Program". The new program updates the process and uses a new form.  The new form replaces the previously accepted "Plumber's report" regarding the condition of the sewer lateral, backwater valve, and sewer relief vent. See page 13 of the Master Fee Schedule for the price of this service.

This is the only form that the City of Monterey will accept when determining the condition of the sanitary sewer lateral systems. We will no longer accept invoices, or later reports typed up on company letterheads. (in Adobe PDF)
Over the last few years, the City has rehabbed many of its sewer mains. If you are doing a project which requires a connection to the city sewer main, you will need to coordinate with the Streets Division to have the sewer line hydro-jetted. The city will provide direction regarding the appropriate kind of connection to be made, and that connection will need to be inspected before the job can be backfilled.

Using the Property Review Feature to Check a Property for a Sewer Lateral and a Back Water Valve:
You can check a property in Monterey to see if it has a sewer lateral already installed, along with an associated backwater valve. Click the button below, the Address option at the top right of the page, then the box to at the bottom of the window.

Check a Property for Compliance

Find out if you have a sewer lateral line and a backwater valve on your property

BackWaterValve-BrochureCoverRaw sewage. Have you ever had it come out of your toilets, shower stalls or sinks? Though rare, some residents have experienced such unfortunate events. While the City has an aggressive maintenance program that includes cleaning and inspecting sewer mains, it is still possible that a City sewer main can plug up and lead to sewage flooding. However, by installing sewer laterals and release valves (SRV and BWV) on at-risk properties, owners can minimize their exposure to such an incident. Find out more information in this guide. Also see the MRWMD Shared Responsibility Flyer.

Sewer Lateral and Backwater Valve Lookup

Backwater Valve Brochure

Check the box when you look up an address in the Property Review portal:

Permit Applications

Complete applications may be submitted by email to Applicants will be contacted with fee payment information.
  • Building Permit Application - Use this form for re-roofs, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, solar PV systems, temporary tent structures, and all other building projects, residential and commercial, small and large.
  • Encroachment Permit Application - (online-fillable PDF) formerly called Public Works Permit Application - Use this form for work being conducted in the right of way, both temporary and permanent, for sewer line replacements, driveways, retaining walls, sidewalks, outdoor dining (downtown), scaffolding, and other similar activities. Also see applicable Fire Prevention guidelines - see the Fire Prevention page at
  • Residential Property Inspection Application