Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility City of Monterey, CA

Frequent Questions


DroneIconDrones are subject to federal regulation. California law makes it a crime for a drone operator to interfere with emergency personnel in the performance of their duties. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has a B4UFLY app that has a useful map feature that shows if you are near an airport or other restricted air space location and it also includes information on drone regulations. Additionally, refer to the Monterey Regional Airport UAS and Drone Information web page: and FAA's Frequently Asked Questions about drones:

Frequently Asked Questions

Should I report suspicious activities in my neighborhood?
The Monterey Police Department depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. The dispatcher who takes your call will ask questions about the activity. You may be asked if an officer may contact you. Oftentimes your assistance and cooperation is very important to us.
Can I make a police report over the phone or does an officer have to come to my house?
Phone reports are generally used for out of town complaints. The receiving dispatcher can determine if your report can be handled over the telephone or you will need to meet with an officer face to face.
How can I find out if someone has been arrested?
The Monterey Police Department permits the arrested person three phone calls to notify a friend or family of his/her arrest. A daily bulletin log (public information) is updated weekly online.
Can the police open my car if I have locked my keys inside?
Because of the potential for damage to vehicles, the Police Department does not open locked vehicles. A locksmith or tow company is your best alternative. If a child is locked inside the vehicle, the police will respond to remove the child from the vehicle.
How do I get a copy of a police report?
The records unit is open 24-hours a day and is located at 351 Madison Street, Monterey. There is a nominal fee for reports.
How much are fees for an animal impound release?
Refer to the Master Fee Schedule under the Police section for current rates.
Who do I contact about an abandoned vehicle?
Please call (831) 646-3973 for more information.
Does the Monterey Police Department maintain a lost and found?
Please call (831) 646-3830 for more information.
How do I obtain a vehicle release if my car was towed?
For information and/or to obtain a release, please cal (831) 646-3830.
How do I contest a parking citation?
The City of Monterey follows the process as established by the State of California to contest a parking citation (CVC 40215). To contest a citation you must start with Level 1, Administrative Review. You MUST contest your citation within 21-calendar days of the date the citation was issued or 14-calendar days from the mailing of the Delinquent Parking Violation Notice.
  • Level 1 - Administrative Review
  • Level 2 - Administrative Hearing
  • Level 3 - Court Appeal
For complete details go to the Citations page at
How can I request trespass enforcement and/or file a complaint?
Here is a sample sign that can be displayed on your property, and a sample letter that you can file with us.
How do I obtain an assembly permit for a special event?
For first time events in Monterey, please complete the Event Proposal available on the Special Events page

For a recurring event that requires/includes a street closure, parades, amplified sound, races or other assembly gatherings you can download an Assembly Permit then turn into the Monterey Police Department.
How can I schedule a fingerprinting appointment?
All Livescans and Fingerprinting Services have been temporarily suspended until further notice. 

Fingerprinting (standard ink rolling) is available Thursday - Friday, 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., and Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. for $12 per fingerprint card. No appointment is required for inked fingerprinting.?LiveScan fingerprinting is available by appointment only at:

Monterey Police Department
351 Madison Street
Monterey, CA 93940

Appointments are scheduled on Wednesday, from 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. Please contact the Records Division for an appointment at (831) 646-3830.

Our rolling fee for Live Scan is $33 which is in addition to any fees established by the Department of Justice (DOJ) ranging from $30-$150.

Other locations in the area that provide Live Scan fingerprint services are listed by the Department of Justice:
How can I obtain a taxi or massage permit?
All Permit Services have been temporarily suspended. If you have questions regarding Taxi or Massage permits, please contact Angie Madruga at, or call (831) 646-3841.